District 58 administers a variety of community surveys each year. The District’s administrators, principals and school improvement teams use the results to help guide improvements to both the District and individual schools.
2019-20 School Year
5Essentials Surveys and Parent School Environment Survey
District 58 invites parents to take its annual Parent School Environment Survey now through Friday, Dec. 20. This anonymous survey only takes parents a few minutes to complete, and the results will help guide the work of principals, teachers and district administrators.
We also invite parents to take the Illinois State Board of Education’s 5Essentials Parent Survey, now through Friday, Feb. 14. In addition, District 58 will administer the State’s 5Essentials Survey for students (in grades 4-8) and staff sometime between Dec. 10 and Feb. 14. Survey results will become part of the 2020 Illinois State Report Card for your school.
All responses are anonymous. If you do not want your child to participate in the 5Essentials Survey, please sign and return the consent form to your child’s teacher by Monday, Dec. 9.
English Survey Information:
- Survey Message from Superintendent Dr. Kevin Russell – Learn more about District 58’s surveys.
- Parent School Environment Survey – Please take this survey by Friday, Dec. 20.
- Parent 5Essentials Survey – Please take this survey by Friday, Feb. 14. Please note: this is the state’s parent survey, and District 58 will only receive results if at least 20% of a school’s parents participates.
- 5Essentials Passive Consent Form – Please complete and submit this form only if you do not wish your child to take the 5Essentials survey.
- 5Essentials Survey Questions
Información de la encuesta
El Distrito 58 invita a los padres a participar en su encuesta anual sobre el entorno escolar para los padres hasta el viernes 20 de diciembre. Esta encuesta anónima solo toma unos minutos para que los padres completen, y los resultados ayudarán a guiar el trabajo de los directores, maestros y administradores del distrito.
También invitamos a los padres a tomar la Encuesta de Padres 5Essentials de la Junta de Educación del Estado de Illinois, desde ahora hasta el viernes 14 de febrero. Además, el Distrito 58 administrará la Encuesta 5Esenciales del estado para los estudiantes (en los grados 4-8) y los maestros entre el 10 de diciembre y el 14 de febrero. Los resultados de la encuesta formarán parte del Informe del Estado de Illinois 2020 para su escuela.
Todas las respuestas son anónimas. Si no desea que su hijo participe en la Encuesta 5Essentials, firme y envíe el formulario de consentimiento al maestro de su hijo antes del 9 de diciembre.
Información de la encuesta en español
- Mensaje de la encuesta del Superintendente Dr. Kevin Russell – Obtenga más información sobre las encuestas del Distrito 58.
- Encuesta del entorno escolar de los padres – Por favor, tome esta encuesta antes del viernes 20 de diciembre.
- Encuesta del 5Essentials – Por favor, tome esta encuesta antes del viernes 14 de febrero. Tenga en cuenta que esta es la encuesta estatal de padres, y el Distrito 58 solo recibirá resultados si participa al menos el 20% de los padres de una escuela.
- Formulario de consentimiento pasivo de 5Essentials: Complete y envíe este formulario solo si no desea que su hijo tome la encuesta de 5Essentials.
- Preguntas de la encuesta del 5Essentials
2019 Communication Satisfaction & Preferences Results
District 58 invited the community to take a survey regarding communications satisfaction and preferences in summer 2019. Since the survey closed in September, District and school leaders have started internally reviewing the data, as well as with the Communications Feedback Council. Part of the Superintendent’s Community Advisory Council will review the redacted results next month. These results will help inform the District’s communication improvement efforts.
- View a presentation reviewing the Communication Satisfaction and Preference Survey results.
- View the raw District 58 Communication Satisfaction and Preferences Survey results.
- View the raw Spanish Communication Satisfaction and Preferences Survey results.
2018-19 School Year
2018-19 5Essentials Survey Results
The Illinois State Board of Education’s 5Essentials Survey helps schools understand how they fare on five different categories that are linked to student success: effective leaders, collaborative teachers, involved families, supportive environment and ambitious instruction. In District 58, students in grades 4-8 and staff take the survey, and parents are invited to complete it. Survey results become part of a school’s Illinois State Report Card.
- 2018-19 5Essentials Survey Results (search for your individual school)
- 2018-19 5Essentials Survey District 58 Dashboard and Executive Summary
Spring 2019 1:1 Learning Survey Results:
District 58 sought parent, student and staff feedback regarding its 1:1 Learning Program, which provides students in grades 1-6 with an iPad and students in grades 7-8 with a Chromebook.
- View the Spring 2019 1:1 Learning Program parent survey results.
- View the Spring 2019 1:1 Learning Program grade 1-2 student survey results.
- View the Spring 2019 1:1 Learning Program grade 3-8 student survey results.
- View the Spring 2019 1:1 Learning Program faculty survey results.
Winter 2019 Parent Partnership Survey Results:
- View Winter 2019 Parent Partnerships Survey raw results.
- View survey result highlights in this February Board meeting presentation.
2018-19 School Environment Survey Results:
District 58 invited parents to take the School Environment Survey in November and December 2018. District 58 administrators, principals and school leadership teams use survey results to guide district and school improvement efforts. This report includes both aggregate quantitative data as well as open-ended responses.
In February 2019, the District presented the School Environment Survey results to the Board of Education.
- View the School Environment Survey presentation.
- 2018-19 – School Environment Survey Results – Parents – English
- 2018-19 – School Environment Survey Results – Parents – Spanish
2017-18 Survey Results:
- 2017-18 – School Environment Survey Results – Parents – English
- 2017-18 – School Environment Survey Results – Parents – Spanish
- 2017-18 5Essentials Survey Results (select your individual school)
The District’s 2011 Strategic Plan identified student well-being and social-emotional learning as a priority. To that end, the District 58 School Environment Survey polls parents on the District’s progress in this area. At first glance, the 2017-18 parent survey revealed:
- 94 percent* said their child feels his/her teacher really cares about him/her. (93 percent in 2016)
- 95 percent believe their school is a supportive and inviting place for students. (94 percent in 2016)
- 93 percent believe they have sufficient opportunities to communicate with their child’s teachers. (93 percent in 2016)
- 89 percent believe their child is getting a quality education. (91 percent in 2016)
- 95 percent said that adults at this school believe that their child can be a success (94 percent in 2016)
- 91 percent said that their child’s school focuses on teaching the whole child, including social and emotional skills (92 percent in 2016)
* Based on parents who answered “Always” or “Usually” to survey questions
2016-17 Survey Results:
Please view the results of District 58’s surveys below. The District administered these surveys in November and December 2016.
- 2016-17 – School Environment Survey – Parents – English
- 2016-17 School Environment Survey – Parents – Spanish
- 2016-17 – School Environment Survey – Students in grades 3-5
- 2016-17 – 5Essentials Survey – Students in grades 6-8 and all teachers (type in individual school names in search bar)
2015-16 Survey Results:
District and school teams are using these survey results in their ongoing district and school improvement planning efforts for the upcoming school year.
- 2015-16 School Environment Survey – Parents – English
- 2015-16 School Environment Survey – Parents – Spanish
District 58 administered its annual School Environment Survey of students in grades 3-8 during April 2016.
- 2015-16 School Environment Survey – Students in grades 3-6
- 2015-16 School Environment Survey – Students in grades 7-8
- 2015-16 District Reporting Systems Survey – English
- 2015-16 District Reporting Systems Survey – Spanish
- Board of Education Spotlight on Community Surveys – September 2015
- 2014-15 School Environment Survey (Grades 3-5)
- 2014-15 School Environment Survey (Parents)
- 2014-15 School Environment Survey (Parents – Spanish)
- 2014-15 5Essentials Survey (Grades 6-8 and Staff) 5Essentials survey results are reported by school only, not by district. Click this link, select a school, and then click on “School Environment” to view results.