|The Downers Grove Grade School District 58 Strategic Plan was developed in partnership with the community during the 2010-11 school year, and approved by the Board of Education July 11, 2011.
The level of stakeholder involvement in the process was gratifying. More than 1,400 community members, including parents, residents, and business owners, responded to our community survey, and nearly 100 stakeholders participated in our community engagement workshop in March. We were also very gratified that the feedback offered via the survey and the workshop reflects a high level of support for District 58’s current programs and services.
The Strategic Plan was created as a touchstone, reflecting the priorities of our community and providing a set of guidelines and parameters to guide future decision-making within District 58. It is expected that District 58, including administration, staff, board members, and the community we serve, will refer to this Strategic Plan — including the mission statement, core beliefs, Vision Statement and four focus areas — when setting goals, creating plans for school improvement, developing programming for students, and allocating funding. Links to our annual Strategic Goals Action Plan, as well as our Annual Report on our accomplishment of the prior year’s goals, will be posted on this page.
With our stakeholder-driven Strategic Plan as our roadmap, we will continue to celebrate and build on our many successes, seek creative solutions to the challenges we face, and partner with the community in the fulfillment of our mission.
Strategic Plan Details:
Annual Report to the Board, 2009-10
Strategic Goals Action Plan 2011-12
The mission of District 58, in partnership with parents and community, is to challenge and engage each child by providing quality educational programs and support services in a safe, nurturing, and child-centered environment in order to prepare all students to be lifelong learners and contributing members of a global society.
Core Belief Statements
- Each student is capable of learning and deserves to be educated and challenged to reach his/her highest potential.
- Education is the foundation for success, both in academic achievement and social emotional development.
- Within each child, we will cultivate the social awareness, self-management, and responsible decision-making skills necessary to be a contributing member of society.
- Educators, students, families, and community members should work together to support the healthy development of all students.
- The school environment should be stimulating and engaging, with opportunities for creative, collaborative, and meaningful learning experiences.
- The school environment should be safe, friendly, and nurturing, where everyone comes to learn, grow, and develop.
We Envision a school district that inspires children, sparks creative and innovative thinking, celebrates diversity, and builds visionaries.
We Seek an education that excites minds, touches spirits, challenges abilities, and prepares our children for life.
We Believe every child should be expected to grow, stretch, evolve and embrace the challenges of the future in a global environment.