The federal Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) requires each state to create a plan to ensure all children receive a high-quality education that prepares them for college and careers. As part of the Illinois ESSA plan, the State will evaluate every Illinois preK-8 school on six indicators: academic growth (50 percent); chronic absenteeism (20 percent); English-language arts proficiency (10 percent); math proficiency (10 percent); English learner progress (5 percent); and climate survey participation (5 percent). Learn more about these indicators.
The State used data from these indicators to give each school a summative designation, or a rating, in one of four tiers. The tiers are: Exemplary School (Tier I), Commendable School (Tier 2), Underperforming School (Tier 3) and Lowest Performing School (Tier 4). Learn more about school designations.
During the Oct. 22 Curriculum Workshop, the Board received a first-look at District 58’s tentative school designations. The State published school designations on Wednesday, Oct. 31, as part of its 2018 Illinois Report Card for schools. 11 schools received a Tier 1 – Exemplary rating, and two schools received a Tier 2 – Commendable rating. District 58 posted this information on its District 58 Report Card page.
District 58 emailed all parents information regarding ESSA on Wednesday, Oct. 17, and principals sent parents their individual school designations on Oct. 22. In addition, each school will hold a parent meeting this fall to provide interested parents with more information and depth about their child’s school designation, as well as school achievement, growth, supports and improvement efforts.
Fall 2018 ESSA Parent Forum schedule:
- El Sierra: Thursday, Oct. 4 from 7-8 p.m.
- Hillcrest: Thursday, Oct. 25 from 7-8 p.m.
- Belle Aire: Tuesday, Oct. 30 from 6-7 p.m.
- Henry Puffer: Tuesday, Oct. 30 from 7:30-8:30 p.m.
- O’Neill: Thursday, Nov. 1 from 6-7 p.m.
- Pierce Downer: Thursday, Nov. 1 from 7:30-8:30 p.m.
- Herrick: Monday, Nov. 5 from 7-8 p.m.
- Kingsley: Tuesday, Nov. 6 from 6-7 p.m.
- Indian Trail: Tuesday, Nov. 6 from 7:30-8:30 p.m.
- Whittier: Wednesday, Nov. 7 from 7:30-8:30 p.m.
- Highland: Thursday, Nov. 8 from 7:30-8:30 p.m.
- Fairmount: Thursday, Nov. 15 from 6-7 p.m.
- Lester: Thursday, Nov. 15 from 7:30-8:30 p.m.
Learn more about ESSA in District 58:
- Read a Districtwide message about ESSA, sent Oct. 17.
- View the July 2018 Board presentation on ESSA.
- View the July 2018 Board Briefs, which discussed ESSA.
- View the Illinois ESSA Plan.
- Learn more about ESSA in Illinois.
- Learn more about official 2018 summative designations.
- View the Illinois Report Card website. (to be updated Oct. 31 by the State)
- Learn more about District 58’s methods of assessment.