Helpful links regarding coronavirus school guidance:
Message sent March 2, 2020 to District 58 families and staff:
Dear Downers Grove Grade School District 58 Community,
The health and safety of our students is our top priority, so we want to share with you information that the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) has published for schools throughout the state regarding coronavirus, also known as COVID-19.
As you may be aware, Illinois and Cook County health officials confirmed a coronavirus case in suburban Cook County over the weekend. However, the IDPH continues to state that the health risk to the general public from coronavirus remains low. The IDPH recommends schools hold classes and events as usual, and follow routine cleaning and disinfecting procedures.
The IDPH also recommends the best way to protect against coronavirus is by taking the same everyday precautions against getting sick in general. These include:
- Washing your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Avoiding touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoiding close contact with people who are sick
- Staying home when you are sick
- Covering your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throwing the tissue in the trash
- Cleaning and disinfecting frequently-touched objects and surfaces
To see the complete recommendations to schools from IDPH, please click here. We will continue to closely monitor recommendations regarding coronavirus and will update you as soon as there are any significant changes in recommendations for schools. Thank you for your support in helping to keep our school community healthy.
Dr. Kevin Russell
District 58 Superintendent