Downers Grove Grade School District 58 celebrated the new Lester School addition during a special ribbon-cutting ceremony Monday, Aug. 27 at 6:30 p.m. at the school, 236 Indianapolis Ave.
“I’m so excited that all of our collaborative efforts have finally come to fruition,” said Lester School Principal Carin Novak. “I can’t wait for our students and our staff to begin to leave their footprints in our new learning spaces.”
The $2.24 million Lester project added three classrooms, ADA-compliant bathrooms and a flexible resource space to the school’s east side. The project resolves Lester’s space concerns, and it reorganizes classrooms into elementary (K-3) and intermediate (4-6) wings.
The ceremonial ribbon-cutting opened with celebratory remarks from Superintendent Dr. Kari Cremascoli, Lester Principal Carin Novak, Wight & Company Architect Amy Fuller and Board of Education President Doug Purcell. Mrs. Novak concluded the presentation by cutting the red ribbon, while the community clapped and cheered.
“Lester’s new addition provides students and staff with wonderful new learning spaces in which to learn and grow, and addresses the significant space constraint issues that have challenged the school for many years,” said Superintendent Dr. Kari Cremascoli. “I am very proud of the District 58 staff who worked hard to identify cost-effective solutions that provided Lester School the space it needed. Your efforts paid off! I also thank our Board of Education for their support and approval of this important project.”
Lester School has served students at capacity for several years. However, a recent increased need for special education and intervention services, as well as the addition of the optional kindergarten enrichment program, required additional classroom space at the school. District 58 worked diligently with its architect, Wight & Company, to recommend a solution that addressed Lester’s needs in a fiscally-responsible manner. The Board of Education approved a bond sale to fund the project in February 2018, and construction began last spring.
Learn more about the Lester Project!
- Lester project ribbon-cutting and grand opening – August 2018
- Lester project groundbreaking – March 2018
- Lester project timeline and history – Published February 2018
- Board vote to approve Lester project – February 2018
- Public hearing to sell bonds – January 2018
- Key Board approvals for the Lester project – approval to issue bids, approval of architect and construction management services, and approval of financial advisory service provider – November 2017
- Lester project update – August 2017 Board meeting
- Lester project discussion – June 2017 Board meeting (scroll to “Discussion: Lester Facilities”)
- Lester Feasibility Study – April 2017 Board meeting
- Board to explore feasibility of a Lester School addition – February 2017