District 58 thanks the community for its tremendous participation in its Vision 58 strategic planning effort! The District launched Vision 58 in winter 2018 with community forums, focus groups and an online survey designed to obtain input from a broad cross-section of the community. This wealth of information, feedback and insight gained were used to envision each stakeholders’ aspirations for our schools and to inform the District’s new Strategic Plan. The result is a new Strategic Plan that will help to guide the District’s goals and improvement efforts over the next five years.
The mission of District 58, in partnership with parents and community, is to challenge and engage each child by providing quality educational programs and support services in a safe, nurturing, and child-centered environment in order to prepare all students to be lifelong learners and contributing members of a global society.
We Envision a school district that inspires children, sparks creative and innovative thinking, celebrates diversity, and builds visionaries.
We Seek an education that excites minds, touches spirits, challenges abilities, and prepares our children for life.
We Believe every child should be expected to grow, stretch, evolve and embrace the challenges of the future in a global environment.
- Each student is capable of learning and deserves to be educated and challenged to reach his/her highest potential.
- Education is the foundation for success, both in academic achievement and social emotional development.
- Within each child, we will cultivate the social awareness, self-management, and responsible decision-making skills necessary to be a contributing member of society.
- Educators, students, families, and community members should work together to support the healthy development of all students.
- The school environment should be stimulating and engaging, with opportunities for creative, collaborative, and meaningful learning experiences.
- The school environment should be safe, friendly, and nurturing, where everyone comes to learn, grow, and develop.
What’s New? Board approves Strategic Plan Report
The Board of Education approved on May 14, 2018 the 2018-2022 Strategic Plan Report created by Hazard, Young, Attea and Associates (HYA), the District’s strategic plan facilitator. The 23-page report summarizes the feedback provided by stakeholders during the Vision 58 effort. The plan also includes three strategic goal areas–Focusing on Learning, Connecting the Community, and Securing the Future–and associated objectives for each. The goals and objectives are based on themes that emerged from the focus groups and survey and are in alignment with the District’s mission, vision and guiding principles.
Vision 58 Background:
In July 2017, the Board of Education established a goal for a broad-based, community-focused strategic planning effort to occur during the 2017-18 school year.
In January 2018, nearly 2,500 community members took a 10-minute strategic planning survey, administered by HYA. In addition, HYA hosted three community forums open to the general public, as well as more than 40 focus groups with varied local stakeholders. HYA reports that 575 residents participated in these in-person opportunities, providing valuable feedback.
In February 2018, the HYA consultants carefully analyzed the feedback received through the community forums, focus groups and online survey. They used their expertise to determine common trends, themes and big ideas. They parsed out this information and created a draft Strategic Plan report. HYA shared that the survey alone produced 213 pages of single-spaced comments, plus they collectively captured many more pages of notes from the in-person focus groups.
In late February and early March, the HYA consultants met with the Vision 58 Planning Team and the the Board’s Meet & Confer Strategic Plan Committee to review big ideas, themes and their draft Strategic Plan report.
Although HYA originally planned to present its draft Strategic Plan report to the Board during the Board’s March meeting, they requested to move this presentation to April. This allowed HYA, in conjunction with the Vision 58 Planning Committee and the Meet & Confer Strategic Plan Committee, additional time to refine the draft report to ensure it fully captured the community’s feedback and vision for District 58’s future.
HYA presented the the final draft of their Strategic Plan report to the Board of Education during the Board’s regular April 2018 Board meeting.
The Board of Education voted to approve the final Strategic Plan Report during its regular May business meeting, on Monday, May 14.
- View the 2018-2022 Strategic Plan Report.
- View District 58’s existing Strategic Plan, adopted in 2011.
- View District 58’s Annual Strategic Goals Action Plans, as well as its Annual Strategic Plan Reports to the Board.
- View the District’s Jan. 8 Vision 58 announcement.
- View the District’s Dec. 13 Vision 58 announcement.
- View the District’s Oct. 20 strategic planning announcement.
- View HYA’s strategic planning process.