OMS Cross Country Info Packet
Fall 2018 – Expectations, Required Forms & Practices/Meets
Ms. Reitsma and Mr. Kincaid will coach the OMS Cross Country team, and look forward to working with the team this season! There will be an Info Meeting for students in the cafeteria on 8/27 (3:15-3:45 pm), and our first practice will begin after school on 8/28. Please be aware of and carefully read through the following expectations, forms, and schedules for all runners and parents/guardians to be aware of this season.
Runners can still join even if they did not attend the Info Mtg or practice the first day.
Runners must have a current physical on file at O’Neill in order to practice.
- Runners are expected to attend practice (current physical must be on file).
- Conflicts due to other sports/activities need to be provided by a parent/guardian note or email to coaches to determine practice days in these cases.
- Doctor notes need to be provided to coaches in situations where an athlete is
medically not able to participate in physical activity.
- Runners who miss 2 days of practice without notifying coaches or providing a parent/guardian note or email will no longer be able to continue participating on the team. Coaches will notify parents/guardians in this situation.
- The team will NOT have practice on 9/3 (no school) & 9/20 (half-day). If a practice/meet is cancelled due to weather, coaches will notify runners at school as soon as possible. Any cancelled practice/meet will not be rescheduled.
In all cases, the student athlete/runner will be expected to notify parents/guardians if they are not at practice to either be picked up, take the bus or walk home.
- Held on Mondays – Thursdays from 3:15-4:30 pm, and Fridays from 3:15-4:00 pm starting on 8/28 through 10/1. The team will not have practice on 9/3 (no school) & 9/20 (half-day). There will be a Conference Info Mtg on 10/2 from 3:15-3:45 pm. Runners must have rides to pick them up by 4:30 pm (or 4:00 pm on Fridays) if they are not walking home. There will be no busing provided.
- Runners will be expected to change into their PE uniforms in the locker rooms after school and meet in the cafeteria for attendance by 3:25 pm. OMS Cross Country t-shirts can also be worn for practices.
- Practices typically allow time for runners to change and gather materials before leaving.
- Weekend workouts will be provided at Friday practices, and runners are expected to follow these workouts to continue their running progress.
Meets (see attached Meet Schedule & Meet Directions – also on OMS website):
- Runners must be academically eligible and not injured in order to compete in a meet. Only runners who will race will come on the bus to meets.
- Runners who have just joined the team or who have not been at practice(s) preceding a meet would not attend a meet until they have attended or returned to practice. Coaches will monitor practices preceding a meet to determine if runners have met these conditions.
Meet Arrival & Departure
- Runners who attend away meets will change into PE uniforms after school and take a bus to the meet location. Busing will be provided back to O’Neill after away meets.
- Parents/guardians attending an away meet can sign out their son/daughter with a coach in order to leave the meet after the race. Parents can also provide coaches a note/email in advance of meets to give permission for other parents to sign out and take their runner from a meet or any meet. Only these parents will need to then sign out your runner.
- HOME MEETS ONLY: Runners will walk (no busing provided) to Barth Pond after changing into PE uniforms after school, and do not need to sign out after racing.
- Ms. Reitsma will maintain 7th grade attendance and Mr. Kincaid will monitor 8th grade attendance. Coaches will work closely with the team to encourage and monitor progress. Please reach out to coaches for attendance purposes, or at any point as needed. Coaches might not be able to receive all phone messages or emails that same day.
* We appreciate your help and support for the OMS Cross Country team *