O’Neill Families –
We hope that you have enjoyed a restful and safe summer. We are so excited to welcome you to the 2019-20 school year! As we are preparing for the school year, we wanted to pass on some important information.
Back to school information:
- First Day and Bell Schedule: The first official day of school is Thursday, August 22nd. Early bird classes start at 7:45 AM, and 1st period starts promptly at 8:33 AM. Please see the OMS Bell Schedule.
- Early Release Mondays: New this year: The 2019-20 calendar includes a 2 p.m. early dismissal for students in grades K-8 on Mondays to provide teachers with 1.5 hours of weekly professional development time. Learn more here.
- Main Office: The main office at O’Neill is open Monday-Friday from 7:30 AM – 4:00 PM. If you have any questions, please contact the office at 630-719-5815.
- Parent Communication: Communication to parents will be sent out weekly (most often on Friday) in the “Parent Senator Snapshot”. This weekly newsletter will share information about the week ahead. The first Parent Senator Snapshot will go out on Friday, August 23rd!
- Locker set-up Night: On Tuesday, August 20th, we invite our students and families to school for our “Locker set-up Night”. 7th graders are invited to come from 4:30-5:45 PM, and 8th graders are invited from 5:45-7:00 PM. This is a time for students to receive their schedules and set-up their lockers. Learn more here.
- Executive Functioning: It is our goal this year is to support students with executive functioning. We will be having a school-wide expectation of using zip-binders that include class folders, an assignment notebook, and a place to carry their Chromebooks. Student binders were paid for at registration and may be picked up at Locker set-up night!
- Chromebooks: All of the O’Neill students will have Chromebooks this year. We are anticipating that they will be handed out the week of August 26th.
- Busing: Students who live 1.5 miles or greater from O’Neill or must cross a street identified as a hazard by the State of Illinois are eligible for bus service. Our 2018-19 bus routes are listed on the main page for O’Neill (OMS Website). Bus stops are very similar each year. Please take a look at these routes and find the stop that will work the best for your student. We will not get the updated routes for this year until the day before school starts, so please use times from last year as your reference. Please be mindful that it often takes a few days to find some consistency with bus times.
- Sneak Preview: For our 7th grade students & families. We look forward to welcoming our incoming 7th grade students to our annual Sneak Preview on August 14th and 15th. This event is funded by the Downers Grove District 58 Education Foundation. The bus schedule for Sneak Preview can be found here: http://www.dg58.info/SneakPreview/bus.php. Any Questions about Sneak Preview can be answered by Ms. Danielle Saenz at email@example.com.
- Communication: Please contact teachers directly if you wish to communicate about particular classes. The counselors (8th grade – Mrs. Jeris: firstname.lastname@example.org, 7th grade – Mr. Kincaid: email@example.com) and social worker (Mr. Caton: firstname.lastname@example.org) can help you with general concerns or matters related to students’ adjustment in school. The secretaries and administrators are also available to help.
- Curriculum Night: Save the Date: Curriculum Night will be Wednesday, September 4th from 6-7:30 PM. This is a time for you to receive a glimpse of your student’s classes and meet their teachers.
We hope you had a restful summer. We look forward to an AWESOME school year!
Matt Durbala, Principal
Haley Vermeer, Assistant Principal