The District 58 Legislative Committee meets four times per year.
|2016-17 Legislative Committee
Beth Taylor, Chair – School Board Member
Gwendolyn Box – DGEEA Designee
Kathy Catalani – DGESP Retired
Dr. Kari Cremascoli – Superintendent
Laura Duffy – Community Member
Dan Gilbert – Community Member
Megan Hewitt – Community Relations
Geoff Neustadt – Asst Director of Buildings & Grounds
Matt Neustadt – Middle School Principal
Lorie Pilster, Secretary – Administrator
Angela Rodriguez – Community Member
Angie Rybarczyk – DGCMA Representative
Michelle Rzepka – Elementary Principal
Jill Samonte – School Board Member
Bruce Swanson – Retired Teacher
Bob Trojanowski – Retired Custodial/Maintenance
Doug Purcell – Board President
Sept. 27, 2017
Mar. 15, 2017
Feb. 15, 2017
Jan. 18, 2017
Nov. 8, 2016
Legislative Committee – Membership Structure
|Member Category||Number||Recommendation:||Special Duties|
|Board of Education||1-2||Board President|
|Board President||1||(Ex-Officio member)|
|Business/Finance Administrator||1||Superintendent||Clarify impact of legislation on district|
|Principals||1-2||Superintendent||Keep principals informed|
|Certified Staff||1-2||DGEEA designee||Keep staff informed|
|Support Staff||1-2||DG Educational Support Personnel designee||Keep staff informed|
|Custodial/Maint. Staff||1||DG Custodial Maint. Assoc. designee||Keep staff informed|
|PTA||1||PTA Council President or designee||Keep PTA informed|
|Parents||1-2||Legislative Committee Chair(s)||Work with PTA to keep parents informed|
|Retired Personnel||2-3||Superintendent/Leg. Committee Chair||Voice of experience|
|Residents||2-4||Committee Chair||Voice of the taxpayers|
|Business Member||1||Committee Chair Voice of the business community||Total Membership 15-23|
Background and History:
The Legislative Committee was established by the Board of Education in February 1990 and charged with the responsibility of keeping the Board updated on current legislation and its impact on District 58.
The Mission of the Legislative Committee is to assess existing and proposed state and federal education legislation; impact and promote legislation in support of District 58; and communicate vital information to our school community.
- Discuss, analyze and evaluate pending legislation and related issues that will impact District 58.
- Encourage and support legislation that:
- Provides a blend of stable and adequate funding sources for free public education;
- Fosters a climate for the improvement of educational programs and educational opportunity for all public school children in the state;
- Provides property tax relief which is fair not only to taxpayers, but fair to children, the nation’s future;
- Funds state mandated programs with state revenues;
- Is consistent with the state’s constitutional obligations for public school funding;
- Maintains the use of public tax dollars for appropriate public education;
- Maintains local control of public schools.
- Promote legislative issues through education:
- Work with the PTA to educate parents. Activities may include articles in PTA newsletters, presentations at PTA meetings, supporting letter writing campaigns, and assisting with lobbying trips to Springfield. Legislative information, including Committee minutes and explanations of pending bills, should be shared with PTA.
- Inform local residents and taxpayers. Activities may include regular articles in the district newsletter explaining current issues, editorials in local newspapers, presentations at local civic organization meetings, updated information on district website.
- Establish mutually beneficial relationships with local legislators:
- Frequent contact with state and federal legislators representing Downers Grove.
- Attend meetings and functions where legislators will be present.
- Invite legislators to attend functions in Downers Grove.
- Host annual Legislative Breakfast to discuss current issues.
- Participate in Legislative Education Network of DuPage (LEND) and Education-Research-Development (ED-RED).
- Report to the Board of Education at their monthly meeting